13 December 2006

Turning 23? I Don’t Think So


Turning 23 is the latest ill-advised campaign from Dr. Pepper. I have two problems with it.

1. The music is a take on The Vapors 1980 hit “Turning Japanese.” The song widely rumored to be about masturbation with racist overtones. That seems like a weird place to start for commodity-esque awareness campaign. It is almost as absurd as a major cruise line using an Iggy Pop song about liquor and drugs. Then I’m further confounded by what it means to turn 23. Well, this leads to the next point.

2. Doesn’t Dr. Pepper have really one flavor? That’s the Dr. Pepper flavor. That’s it. Beyond the weak brand extensions of cherry vanilla or berries & cream, you just have one flavor in that bottle. Mmm, yes, make sure to swirl the plastic bottle before tasting, let it breathe, and then you can really taste the phosphoric acid and the sodium benzoate. When you’re done, you may notice a slightly nutty aftertaste of high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar.

No comments: