24 July 2006

The Hubster Disaster or Co-Opted to Death

I went back to the WalMart social marketing site to see how the School Your Way/ Hubster disaster is taking shape. Perhaps I'm a glutton for punisment.

I have to believe that most traffic to this site is analogous to a gawker’s delay. It’s a car wreck – a completely sublime, yet intriguing, event that’s awful. You try and you try, but you can’t take your eyes off of it. This campaign is like Mike Peters (Jon Favreau) vs. the answering machine in SWINGERS. Painful and entertaining -- they'r not going to do something that stupid again...oh, yes they are.

My favorite part is the FAQ section of the site:
WHO’S BEHIND THIS GENIUS WEB DESTINATION?
The guys from Wal-Mart and Sony®
teamed up to bring you all the sweet stuff you’ll find on the HUB!


Sweet indeed.

Is Sony a new kiss of death when it comes to youth marketing? They teamed up with Ford for the ill-fated Flash Mobs.

No comments: