93 X, a Minneapolis-based hard rock station, has released a new commercial recently. The station is geared towards a predominately male demographic, so the use of attractive women in their commercial is understandable. What’s not is the way they use the women in the promotion. Beyond a woman as object critique, I’m surprised at the bizarre nature of the commercial. The women lip synch to songs that one might hear on the “X”, but they also lip synch the voices of the male talent – you know the crazy zoo crew team that helps you ROCK!! The clichéd lipstick lesbian/bi-curious, girl-on-girl titillation is then usurped by crazy tran-zaniness. There’s a new zoo crew in town and s/he means business. Austin Powers might watch the commercial and say “that’s a man, baby!” Is that what the X is looking for in their audience? Transgendered women ages 18 – 34?
I know, I know. The middle school mentality ad agency is saying “hey man, we’re generating buzz.” Fine, you have your buzz, but do you have higher ratings in a more attractive demographic?
1 comment:
Wow. I was just kinda annoyed by that commercial - I see that it's actually much more deeply disturbing. Apparently it's also 93X's thing - check some of the videos that appear in the crawl when the main video ends. They've been doing this for years!
Post a Comment