08 October 2006

Pontiac & The Paradox of Choice

Pontiac, one of the struggling brands, under the GM umbrella has launched a new campaign to support the “Build Your G6” effort makes a surprisingly silly claim. I caught the commercial three times during a college fottball broadcast yesterday. I had to listen carefully the second time, because I couldn’t believe what I heard the first time. Pontiac says that you can customize your Pontiac and that it "offers more combinations of options and accessories than there are drivers in America." I don’t dispute the claim (mix in a lot of unimportant things or smaller items and yes, lots of selections – by the same logic, Burger King could have hundreds of options to mix and match a whopper), I just wonder why you’d pack that piece of brand destroying language into a thirty second spot.

That’s not going to help you turn around your company or positively build your brand. Too many choices are not going to help. Please see my earlier post about choice or go read Barry Scwartz’s The Paradox of Choice.

I’ve said this before, but I believe in the not to distant future GM will make a great case study of what not to do with your brand. Remember, they’re paying companies big money to help them destroy their brand. You would think that brief for this project would have been "drive a commodity mindset for Pontiac and its potential customers."

No comments: