As my wife and I prepare for the birth of our first child (expected later this month), I find myself making product decisions and forming opinions where none had existed only months ago (much like our wedding).
Preparing for baby, made me think of a piece of flawed logic in an otherwise decent book about consumer behavior. Lou Carbone makes an illogical comparison in Clued In. He compares the brand equity and ad spends between Starbucks and Huggies. It’s a comparison of caffeinated apples and disposable oranges. One product is addictive and the other is not used by the purchaser. Diapers are purchased by people who don’t use the product and had no idea that they would need to make the purchase months earlier.
I find myself engaging in righteous, social, and pragmatic evaluations of potential products and services for the home. In this case, diapers:
Righteous – nothing’s too good for our future daughter, as my wife and I bring multiple consumer guides to baby stores.
Social – asking my friends what diapers they’re using and why. Turns out that Pampers has less blow-outs than Huggies. It sounds like we’re going to be Pampers house.
Pragmatic – what’s the cheapest way to get Pampers? Costco, here we come.
The above assumes the pragmatic argument of disposables beats out the righteous eco-argument of cloth diapers.
No comments:
Post a Comment